GILLESPIE STREET UNIT B // A Gruppo Architects with Heath Macdonald, RA + Steven Quevedo
Built in 1958, the Gillespie Street 8-plex was the result of collaboration between a local developer, Walter Caruth, and modernist architect, Herschel Fisher. This duo became renowned for their signature styling’s of flat roofs, smooth brick and large expanses of glass in the Turtle Creek/Oaklawn area.
The two properties, Unit B designed by Thad Reeves and Unit C by Mitchell Garman Architects, represent the finest examples of the renovation that has taken place on the property during the last five years. Made possible through the methodical layout of the original design, both units open up the once enclosed kitchen to reveal an open configuration of space that allows the exterior courtyard to wash the entire unit in natural daylight, while providing a living arrangement that fosters a number of configurations and functions. Both spaces display a strong sense of flexibility within a small space as well as excellent examples of custom millwork and storage solutions that give each unit a distinctive character.
COMPLETED | 1958
PROJECT DESIGN TEAM | Thad Reeves, AIA + Heath Macdonald, RA + Steven Quevedo
SQUARE FOOTAGE | 1,140 SF
COMPLETED | 2010
PHOTOGRAPHY CREDIT | Craig Kuhner